(If you haven't already, be sure to read our introduction!)
Welcome to Human Restoration Project’s workshop on creating a Virtual, Liberatory Feedback-Driven, or ungraded, Classroom! If you haven’t already, be sure to watch/read our introduction.
Today, we’re focused solely on introductions and background information. There are three ideas to explore:
- Introduce yourself over on our discussion board!
- See the below links to familiarize yourself with the practice of ungrading and liberatory pedagogy.
- Comment on the "what do you notice? what do you wonder?" forum post.
In the following days, we will utilize this information to collaboratively build a feedback-driven classroom in the Fall.
Don’t feel pressured to read all of these or complete every activity. In fact, we'd recommend checking out only one or two of the following! Our best learning happens when we're relaxed, taking things at our own pace, and ready to go. We’ve tried to narrow down these resources to something easy-to-digest. These are recommendations that inform our thought process.
- Liberating Grades/Liberatory Assessment by sj Miller
- What’s in a grade? GRExit, GPA, College Admissions, and the Mastery Transcript (oh my!) by Nick Covington
- Going Gradeless in Urban Ed. by Julia E. Torres
- A Practice of Freedom: Self-Grading for Liberatory Learning by Vicki Reitenauer
- The Case Against Grades by Alfie Kohn
- (3:59) Our video introduction to research studies (from RestoreHumanity.school)
- A collection of ungrading studies
Further Resources (assorted)
- Disruptive Pedagogy and the Practice of Freedom by Julie Fellmayer
- HRP Ungrading Handbook (2020)
- (1:27:01) A Public Dialogue Between bell hooks and Cornel West from The New School
- (39:50) Human Restoration Project Podcast, ep28: Restoring Humanity: Gradeless Learning
- (1:02:35) Human Restoration Project Podcast, ep47: Redefining Assessment by Implementing Gradeless Learning feat. Jeffery Frieden, Aaron Blackwelder, & Nick Covington
- (1:23:17) Human Restoration Project Podcast, ep54: Making the Switch to Ungrading (feat. Abigail French, Dr. Susan Blum, and Dr. Laura Gibbs)
- (23:14) Human Restoration Project Podcast, ep74: The Research on Assessment w/ Dr. Astrid Poorthuis
- Remote learning isn’t dehumanizing education, we’ve already done that by Tegan Morton
Tomorrow, we’ll begin collaborating on our own experiences with grades, our classroom, our students, and making a difference.